techietrek - the blog

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A mixed bag...

Hi folks.

Pros
  1. Well, I did a run/walk of 14.6 miles on Saturday (which is the furthest I have achieved in my 35+ years). I've completed half a dozen half marathons over the years (the last of which was in 1997) but from now on, it's virgin territory for me.
  2. It was quite exciting actually. As the positively tropical 4 degrees Celsius hit me when Heather dropped me off, it felt good to be out. I was dropped off at a village called Edmundbyers, over the county boundary in Northumberland (yes, I DO live that far away from work) - you can see where I mean here. Then it was a run downhill skirting the picturesque Derwent Reservoir and then on via some extremely remote C roads to Ebchester, site of a roman fort that serviced Hadrian's Wall via Dere Street, the 2,000 year old Roman route from Yorkshire to Scotland.
  3. Arriving home, my time was almost as good as that of a half the distance two weeks earlier. Wisely, I decided that my experiences that day after 3 large tumblers of whisly the night before had better not be repeated and a good meal of pasta and plenty of fluids the night before helped.
Image: the view towards Edmundbyers (far distant) and Derwent reservoir


Cons
  1. Unfortunately, I tweaked my back somewhat whilst carrying my rucksack. This didn't get any worse until the day after when I suffered back spasms on the way to the match (good job I didn't go really...) I had to have Monday off work as the better part of 30 hours were spent flat on my back. But it seems that this exercise lark is really starting to pay off and my recovery has been remarkably swift, albeit tentative and I was back at work today, being fussed over by Pete our resident worrier and first aider with a nice pillow for my back!
  2. If anyone has a preparatory treatment for persistent heel blisters then please get in touch. The skin is hardening up, but not quickly enough for my liking and it takes a good 5 days to recover from them after a run over 10 miles.
  3. With it being such a long one, I decided to leave Daft Dog at home (aahhhh!) She'd only get us both tangled up in the wheels of a tractor or get me shot for worrying sheep or something....













iPod:
Being out for so long, I got through quite a lot! Both albums from Athlete released so far -
Tourist and Vehicles and Animals. Also I enjoyed a couple of podcasts: the final Ricky Gervais Show and the Virgin Radio Al Murray Show for good measure. Sniggering to yourself in public doesn't half attract some funny looks, but it takes your mind off aching feet!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home